For Immediate Release: April 30, 2009
Garamendi Announces Major Labor Support
Sacramento—Lieutenant Governor John Garamendi enjoys strong support from key labor unions in the event he becomes a candidate for California’s 10th Congressional district. That seat is presently held by Rep. Ellen Tauscher, who has been nominated to Undersecretary of State for Arms Control Policy; if and when she resigns, Garamendi expects to become a candidate in the special election.
“My friends in labor were the first to ask me to look at this unexpected opportunity,” said Garamendi, “and I’m honored by their early pledges of support. I have stood with labor in many important struggles over the years, and one of my top priorities in Washington will be passage of the Employee Free Choice Act.”
"With everything going on in the nation, it is crucial that we have someone with the knowledge of the lieutenant governor to replace the experienced leadership of Congresswoman Tauscher in Washington, D.C.," AFSCME Local 3299 President Lakesha Harrison said in a statement.
Here is a partial list of labor groups that have announced their support for Garamendi for Congress:
- American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees Local #3299
- Bay Area Union Labor Party
- California Federation of Teachers
- California Nurses Association
- California School Employees Assoc.
- Communication Workers of America
- International Union of Operating Engineers Local #12
- International Union of Operating Engineers Local #3
- Iron Workers – District Council
- Laborers Local #185
- Laborers Local #304
- Laborers Local #324
- LIUNA: Laborers International Union of North America
- Teamsters #150
- Teamsters #350
- UFCW: United Food & Commercial Workers
- International Union of Painters & Allied Trades