Congressman John Garamendi is focused on growing the middle class. He is the leading voice in Congress for “Make It In America” policies that will help bring manufacturing jobs back to America. In Congress, he has successfully:
- Increased the Buy America requirement for buses and rail from 60% to 70%
- Stopped school districts from procuring canned foods from China when local produce is available
- Ensured a five-year extension of the Wind Production Tax Credit and Solar Investment Tax Credit in order to incentivize the wind and solar manufacturing sectors to continue manufacturing in America.
As the Ranking Member of the Subcommittee on the Coast Guard and Maritime Transportation, Garamendi is focused on increasing American shipbuilding.
Congressman Garamendi is also a strong advocate for infrastructure investment. He believes that America’s roads, bridges, tunnels, ports, levees, and transit systems need much more attention from Washington.
He also supports:
- Policies to improve vocational training in our high schools and community colleges
- Partnerships between businesses, schools, and labor apprenticeship programs to cultivate a highly skilled workforce
- Streamlining duplicative and wasteful certifications for well-qualified veterans entering the civilian job market