November 13, 2023
Congressman Garamendi Files for Re-Election in California’s 8th Congressional District
Congressman John Garamendi (D-CA) filed papers to declare his re-election candidacy for Congress in California’s 8th Congressional District.
Congressman Garamendi has represented the region in Congress since 2009. Prior to his election to Congress, Garamendi served in the California Assembly and Senate, twice as California’s elected Insurance Commissioner, as Deputy Secretary of the U.S. Department of Interior under President Bill Clinton, and as California’s Lieutenant Governor. Garamendi also served in the Peace Corps with his wife—Patti Garamendi. The two have raised six children who share their commitment to public service.
“It is an honor to declare my re-election campaign for California’s 8th Congressional District,” Garamendi said. “I like to get things done for our communities. In Congress, I have fought for a good economy, good healthcare, good education, and a good future.
“My promise to the 760,000 people of the 8th Congressional District is that I will never stop fighting for working families” Garamendi continued. “In this last term alone, I’ve:
- Helped author and pass the Infrastructure and Jobs Act into law–which will create new union jobs, build new public transportation, rebuild water and sanitation systems, and repair I-80 and other highways throughout Solano and Contra Costa Counties.
- Secured the largest middle-class tax cut in American history through the American Rescue Plan, with an average tax cut of $3,000 for working families.
- Provided $223 million for Contra Costa schools and $45 million for Solano County schools through the American Rescue Plan.
- Passed legislation to address inflation and supply chain issues to ensure middle-class families have more money in their pockets.
“I will continue fighting for our communities,” Garamendi continued. “Together, we can:
- Establish a universal pre-K system and expand the Pell Grant to make a good-quality education attainable for all.
- Create a national paid family leave program to support parents and children alike.
- Protect our democracy by passing new voting rights legislation.
- Ensure social and economic justice by ending discriminatory practices like redlining.
“The 760,000 residents of California’s 8th Congressional District need a Representative who champions policies for working families. That’s why I am declaring my candidacy for re-election today. I will continue fighting for a bold and transformative vision of America and would be honored to have their continued support,” Garamendi concluded.